Thursday, 24 January 2008

Today's Outfit - 01/24

Today at the office, I had a talk with my chief about some sociological issues. It was a very stimulant intellectual conversation.

Actually me and my husband, who is a social scientist too, usually have those talks, because we always have a sociological perspective about things.

As the study of humans in their collective aspect, sociology is concerned with all group activities: economic, social, political, and religious. Sociologists study such areas as bureaucracy, community, deviant behaviour, family, public opinion, social change, social mobility, social stratification, and such specific problems as crime, divorce, child abuse, and substance addiction. Sociology tries to determine the laws governing human behaviour in social contexts.

So, just what is a sociological perspective? At its most basic, sociology is an attempt to understand and explain the way that individuals and groups interact within a society. How exactly does one approach this goal? C. Wright Mills, in his book The Sociological Imagination (1959), writes that "neither the life of an individual nor the history of a society can be understood without understanding both." Why? Well, as Karl Marx observes at the beginning of The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte (1852), humans "make their own history, but they do not make it just as they please; they do not make it under circumstances chosen by themselves, but under circumstances directly encountered, given and transmitted from the past." Thus, a good sociological argument needs to balance both individual agency and structural constraints.
To be able to do that is to possess the sociological imagination.....


black boots - local store
black pants - Vero Moda
black turtleneck - local store
graphic printed tunic - gift from hubby
red cardigan - Mango
Mother-of-pearl necklace - gift from hubby

Detail of my MOP necklace my husband gave me when we went on our Italian trip

6 comments:

  1. thx for all your sweets comments!! i really like what you write in my blog...you let me thinkig a couple things.

    This subject is very interesting,what Marx said is so true. I like that phrase.

    My boyfriend should be a social scientist, he´s always trying to study human behaviour. We have this "intellectual conversation" pretty often. I´m more "normal" most of the time, but he´s always trying to understand and explain everything. He tries to know how is someone only to look at them very carfeully... and he´s right most af the times. He doesn´t do this on purpose. He just acts naturally.

    are you like that, too!? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the necklace you wear - so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the social norm? Who sets these rules and does it stay the same for across all social structures? You've brought up some food for thought. I remember taking sociology in class and it was a class that always fascinated me. However, I ended up finishing my studies in psychology.

    I don't know you of course very well but I can sense that you are a confident woman...of course because you can pull off such bold outfits and without much makeup on your face! It's great to see this :)

    Grayburn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice colorfull outfit, makes me happy looking at it (I think it's because of the print!)

    And wow, that necklace is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love observing the way people interact socially (or the way they don't). I've always had an interest in the subject, and one of my favorite things to do is enter a room full of people and stand back and watch them go.

    Your hubby has excellent taste—that top is fantastic. You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sociology...analizing human behaviour is soooo interesting.

    I like your color combination

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my humble blog! I read all your comments (even though I don't reply often) with great care. So keep them coming! Love to everyone :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...