Tuesday, 29 January 2008

The yellow spot?

With this post, ENC from observationmode, brought us a relevant question - Art or Fashion?

I’ve considered this topic so motivating that I left a “huge” comment with my point of view, and because of that I would like to share it with you, in the middle of some more reflections.

The question whether fashion can be regarded as a form of art begs the question of what kinds of things can legitimately be thus regarded.
Art has not always been what we think it is today. An object regarded as Art today may not have been perceived as such when it was first made, nor was the person who made it necessarily regarded as an artist. Both the notion of "art" and the idea of the "artist" are relatively modern terms.
During the Renaissance, the word Art emerges as a collective term on all sides of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture.
But architecture—like fashion —fulfills primarily a functional dimension.
If we see fashion as a living art form, it is open to multiple readings. A vibrant reflection of contemporary culture, fashion especially in its most avant-garde expression affects us through its intense visual impact.
“And it is upon this capacity of man to receive another man's expression of feeling and experience those feelings himself, that the activity of art is based” that was in one Leo Tolstoy’s definitions of Art.
Anyway here’s what I’ve wrote:

What’s art and what’s fashion?
Who decides what art is or is not? Answers should be geared towards a more flexible understanding of art. In clearer terms, I think art only obeys a plural understanding. The only way to get out of the conceptual bog is to be open-minded and more accommodative than we now are by simply letting people venture in their understanding something that a certain category of people in the academe hijacked.
What’s fashion? A style that is popular at a particular time, especially in clothes, hair and make-up? We also can see fashion as the prevailing manner in dressing, behaving, and living, at a given time or place.
There are still women who see fashion in more intellectual terms, who want it to help them on the road to self-definition. Fashion offers an expression of one’s identity apart from one’s mother or the older generation.
I think that at our days art and design are more closely tied.I think artists do not see the difference between creating an original work of art, such as a painting, and designing a textile pattern that would be reproduced many times over. Each is a valid creative act.
Fashion is part of an aesthetic that is part and parcel of its time. From the chemise and cloche of the 1920s, echoing Cubist concerns, to the evening dresses of the 1930s, with the body-skimming silhouettes and reflective surfaces, each garment has a particular relationship to the art of its time.
I’m sorry this seems to be an essay, and I’m probably boring you all.
In this particularly case my aesthetic sense tells me that it can be a demonstration of bad art, because I don’t like it.

Some people would like to see the worlds of high art and fashion separate.
How do you see it? Should art be removed from the mass world of wearing stuff? Should it be as accessible as possible? Or does it not even make sense to make distinctions between art and fashion at all anymore?

Anything might be art. Art is what is made by an artist.

3 comments:

  1. For a girl whose first language isn't English, you certainly express yourself with succinct flair. I'm so glad to have had a chance to really get to know your thoughts about art, fashion, architecture.

    xxoo

    p.s.: thanks for the mention! I'm glad that the subject fired your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that everyone who's involved in the process of making a particular piece of clothing is in a way an artist. The person who designs the dress, the one who designs the pattern of the fabric, the one who sews it together, the model who's wearing it for the first time. They all put their heart and soul into it, put a little part of themselves into the finished work and thus each of them adds a little to the character of the dress.

    Each piece of clothing we wear is the result of a creative process and the handywork of several artists working together to create something new and aesthetically pleasing.

    I wanted to be a fashion designer when I was a kid: I guess it stemmed from my desire to be able to combine my two passions of that time: drawing and pretty dresses. :-) And I never considered designing clothes anything else but a form of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool,

    thank you for the link, it was helpful for me as an artist and a fashion fan.



    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my humble blog! I read all your comments (even though I don't reply often) with great care. So keep them coming! Love to everyone :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...