Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Let’s not wait until October*

One day, when I was 25 years old, I was taking a shower, when I felt something strange in my left breast.
I just panic… what could it be?
It was like a little ball, but it didn’t belong there.
What I had detected was a lump, single, firm, and painless.
I moved sky and earth to get an appointment with a physician. I made many medical exams. I had to wait one entire year just to see if the lump should disappear or develop.
I think all of you can understand my mood that year… I was so feared…
One year passed, the lump didn’t get any evolution, it remained there, single and firm.
I had to do a surgery, to remove the lump.
And when the results of the biopsy arrived, telling that it wasn’t Breast Cancer, I finally could have a rest.
After that I had to do monthly breast self-examinations and mammograms regularly.
But this experience made me feel more conscious about the Breast Cancer problem.
By telling my experience, I want you to think that no one is far beyond this.
Some risk factors for cancer can be avoided, but many cannot. For example, both smoking and inheriting certain genes are risk factors for some types of cancer, but only smoking can be avoided.
Therefore there’s some necessity of yearly screening throughout a woman's life. Mammograms are amongst the best premature revealing methods.
And early detection works. When breast cancer is found early, the five-year survival rate is 96%. This is good news!
So let’s not wait until October* to remember doing something to help fighting Breast Cancer.
With just a click you can help many women with free mammograms.
Go see the Breast Cancer Site, please.
*October is internationally known as Breast Cancer Month

7 comments:

  1. That's a very important thing that women should consider!!...I was watching a tv program last week, where 2 young girls (23 and 25 years old) were talking about their experiences, and we usually have the idea that i would happend later, not that young!!...so... well!! i'll do my part, and i'll talk about this to the women next to me!...

    Glad nothing bad happened to you and we have you here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding us of this important issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what you're saying is tremendously important. We should pay attention as you say early detention can save a life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ow, I can imagine you where scared at that moment!
    what you're saying is really important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This needed to be said, thank you for putting it out there. Women also need to be conscious of their diet as well because heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women. Please have your annual mammograms done and watch your salt in take very careful, get yourself checked! Once cancer or heart disease gets to far, there is very little they can do after the fact. Thanks for the reminder !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder! The topic you discussed here is extremely important, and us women shouldn't take that lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very important matter.
    keep on doing support, hugs from Switzerland,
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my humble blog! I read all your comments (even though I don't reply often) with great care. So keep them coming! Love to everyone :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...