Thursday, 6 March 2008

non-violence and vegetarianism


"My religion is based on truth and non-violence. Truth is my God. Non-violence is the means of realizing Him"
- Mahatma Gandhi

All human beings need to be healthy in body and mind. Health is wealth.
Non-violence and truth are very essential for the physical and mental well-being of all man.
Speaking the truth keeps one's conscience clear. It improves human personality. It keeps our mind free from guilt and worries. However, truth should be told pleasantly. It preserves friendship and commands the respect of others. This lessens strains and stresses and thus has a beneficial effect on the body too.

Non-violence is the basis for vegetarianism. All life is precious. All living beings have their place and role in the scheme of things. Thus we should protect and preserve life. "Survival of the fittest" might be nature's way but we should not interfere with nature. We should respect life.

Man seems to be vegetarian by nature. Vegetarian diet appears to be more suitable to human anatomy and physiology. Recently, more and more people are realizing that vegetarianism is better for maintaining good health. We should eat fruits, vegetables, grain, milk, and milk products. We should drink pure water and fruit juices.
We should breathe fresh air. We should enjoy the outdoors, the sun, the moon, and the stars.
We are leading a mechanical life in a materialistic society.
To make the most of our life, we should try to strike a balance between nature and machines.

3 comments:

  1. I think balance is the key word and Nature itself always manage to achive it,no matter how hard we try to control it. I believe that we must be in touch with Nature. Our metropolitan way ofliving is interfering with our health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some vegetarians argue that animal products of any kind are not acceptable for eating. I'm not sure how I feel about all this. I haven't eaten meat since 1985, but I've been a fishatarian all that time. Much less so in recent times. I didn't stop eating meat for any particular reason other than I just didn't want to anymore. My mother told me once she thought it was because, for a time, our family lived near the largest feed lot* in that particular state. She may have been right, but I never thought about it.

    *place where cattle are grown as food animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *I should have said "raised," not "grown."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my humble blog! I read all your comments (even though I don't reply often) with great care. So keep them coming! Love to everyone :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...