Tuesday, 28 April 2009

TO – 04/28 – leopard and red… foolish the one that doesn’t learn from mistakes…

After my yesterday’s provocative post, I would like to talk about mistakes in a not so dramatic and theatrical way, but just a talk about this issue.

If we go through life afraid to make a mistake, we’ll spend most of our life doing absolutely nothing. There is no harm in making mistakes, it is an essential part of going forward. The more responsibility we take on, the more likely we will make mistakes.
If we feel the need to avoid mistakes at all costs, it becomes a psychological barrier to taking risks.
If we learn from mistakes correctly, they can propel will us forward.

We can only learn from a mistake after we admit we’ve made it. As soon as we start blaming other people (or the universe itself) we distance ourselves from any possible lesson. But if we courageously stand up and honestly say “This is my mistake and I am responsible” the possibilities for learning will move towards us. Admission of a mistake, even if only privately to ourselves, makes learning possible by moving the focus away from blame assignment and towards understanding. Wise people admit their mistakes easily. They know progress accelerates when they do.
We should avoid feeling guilty about making mistakes, but at the same time, we should make a resolution to learn from them. If we repeat the same mistakes, it shows we aren’t making progress and causes repeated suffering.

Unfortunately, it is our natural instinct to try to justify our actions. When we make a mistake, the initial reaction is to blame someone else. We justify mistakes for the sake of our ego. Sometimes it is best to say, very simply — yes, I made a mistake.

From our own mistakes we can gain wisdom and accelerate self-improvement. Mistakes, because of their relationship with risk taking, are essential to success. The important thing is to view mistakes as a useful stepping stone to a higher reality.

Well, I’m leaving all philosophical questions about mistakes up to you. One person’s pleasure is another person’s mistake: decide for yourself. Maybe you enjoy stabbing your neighbour’s cat with a banana, who knows. We all do things we know are bad in the long term, but are oh so good in the short term…

So the most important lesson in all of mistake making is to trust that while mistakes are inevitable, if we can learn from the current one, we’ll also be able to learn from future ones. No matter when happens tomorrow we’ll be able to get value from it, and apply it to the day after that. Progress won’t be a straight line but if we keep learning we will have more successes than failures, and the mistakes we make along the way will help us get to where we want to go.

Brown is a colour that is not easy for me, don’t know why, but I always loved to pair red with brown and I think leopard print also goes very well with it.

black oxford shoes - from mainland through a local store (F/W 2008)
brown wide-legs pants – H&M
animal print belt - H&M (F/W 2008)
red shirt - Vero Moda (F/W 2006)
red short blazer - canadian from the 80's - gift
animal print scarf - H&M (S/S 2009)
amber cocktail ring - gift from Hubby
lipstick - Esté Lauder
perfume - Noa from Cacharel


26 comments:

  1. you are right. mistakes happen but it's important to take responsibility rather than blame others. then, we will not learn and will be repeating again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so struggle with making mistakes because I just want to be perfect all the time...and nobody is perfect. To come out and say "yes, I made a mistake" is so freeing! Thank you for this post.

    and you look FAB. As usual of course. Love the jacket! xo
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey lovely lady.....
    Nao acredito q n tenhas mandado uma foto para o passatempo minisaia.... a serio???
    pois compreendo o nao saber q foto mandar mas acho q a monica num dos posts diz q a gente pode mandar as fotos todas que quizermos, tem e que ser todas enviadas individualmente.

    A serio manda..... es das pessoas mais fashion da blogosfera, poes as gajas todas no chinelo LOL

    beijao grande

    n

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I understand about mistakes. I made one recently that is going to cost a few $$$. No real big deal, but I may have to buy some software for the computer that I forgot to have transferred over when we got a new computer. Yich...
    On the other hand... no mistakes in your wardrobe. You look stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So thought provoking and so true honey. we must all start owning up to our mistakes and that way we would be one step closer to learning from them dear.
    Ok honey i coming over my sweet to take all your bright pieces :o) as they are so summer perfect!
    will be missing your posts while im away but will read soon as i get back by grace.
    big hug till then and take care!
    muah x
    Marian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we learn from mistakes. There's this poster in my math room that says he who never made a mistake never made a discovery,though most days I find it cheesy it is right. I love the red blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are so right!!! one MUST learn from mistakes!!! MUST MUST MUST!!! i try very hard to do that and almost beat myself up when i make the same mistake more than once!

    and your outfit is fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. brownwith red is good!

    i also like brown with navy, but not sure if that would be your cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again, dear Seeker. As always I've learned a lot from your post here, and will think about your words. I do appreciate you sharing them. I feel a kinship with you when you do.

    And about red with brown, what fun for me to see you here in this combination. I hardly ever wear red, and recently got a lovely red blouse that I was afraid to wear because bright colors aren't good with my coloring. So I tested it out with various pants and finally liked it with earthy brown linen pants. Just like you--a pretty combination!

    love, Sallymandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muy bonito conjunto, felicidades, seguiremos trabajando hoy sin viaje, así parece.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi my dear-you look ever so stylish here, red is such a great colour on you! Wishing you a good week, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right in what you wrote...
    Great blazer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well said Seeker.=)
    And your outfit is gorgeous as always.=)

    http://www.solofoodtrip.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You rock a red blazer so well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leopard, brown, and red is a magical combination, if you ask me. You look marvelous, my dear!

    And I completely agree: If you can't acknowledge your mistakes, you'll never learn from them. And never learning from them dooms you to repeat them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I could go back in time knowing all I know now, I would not change a thing -- mistakes and all -- because each event (good and bad) helped create the me I am right now. Of course, there are things I'd love to have handled differently....sigh!

    I love the red on you. It somehow seems right == as if it were made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leopard and red is SUCH a great combo! You look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. U look so really stylish. What a cooool vibrant red blazer! So chic!

    X♥X♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute and I really love that scarf on you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made a big mistake last week and I am still feeling bad about it. But, I learned something from it. I will never make it again.

    This outfit is no mistake. LOVE it!!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. i cld not have said anything better about mistakes :oD

    Love ur jacket :o]

    ReplyDelete
  22. What you've said about making mistakes; owing up to them, is so true. And like you; I think that it's important; not to be afraid of making mistakes sometimes, cos the process is when you learn most!

    Love your red blazer! You look fabulous in it!:D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adoro questões filosóficas!
    Sào importantes para nosso crescimento!
    Mas está linda!
    Que saudades!
    Adoro animal print, você sabe!
    E ficou tào elegante!
    Como sempre!
    Abração de saudades, amiga!
    Namastê

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an insightful post. Mistakes are an inevitable part of life. Owning up to them, as you stated so well, is the only way to grow as a productive member of society. Admitting to your mistakes is necessary to future success in any endeavor. Learning from them is crucial to our survival and our progress.

    Eloquently put, my dear. And as per usual, your outfit is stunning. That pop of red in your jacket gives just the right amount of panache and sophistication.

    Kudos and Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  25. "If we go through life afraid to make a mistake, we’ll spend most of our life doing absolutely nothing."-these are brilliant words! Sometime I live like this, but I know, after many years I will regret of loosing time...So I try to remind myself about it every day!
    P.s.Red scarf+belt are such a great accessories for this red blazer!
    Kisses and hugs,my dear friend!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my humble blog! I read all your comments (even though I don't reply often) with great care. So keep them coming! Love to everyone :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...