Monday, 3 January 2011

from FOF..... Young at heart (and mind)

Today on a round trough some blogs, I read this post that I felt so related that I couldn't let it pass without sharing with my dear readers and blogging friends.
It starts like this:

''I am getting sick and tired of hearing we are the generation that doesn’t want to get old. An article on the front page of The New York Times yesterday, notes: Though members of other generations may say that it’s time to get over yourself by the time you reach 65, Boomers have no “intention of ceding to others what they consider rightfully theirs: youth.”

And it continues:

Bull. What we have no intention of ceding is our energy, drive, passion, curiosity; in other words, everything that defines us and will define us until the last boomer lays his or head down to die.
Of course, we don’t want to get old, even if we know that’s where we’re headed. More importantly, we don’t want to act old and think old. If our grandmothers looked old at 50 and headed straight for the rocking chair, we’d prefer to look the best we can, with the same enthusiasm for living we’ve had all along.
We’re not trying to compete with the young or deny them a thing. The future is theirs and they have plenty of time to work their magic. But we still have a few tricks up our sleeves.''

I completely agree with what is said and what about you, any insights????

16 comments:

  1. i like this!

    we are ALL getting older! it is part of life! but it doesn't mean you have to sit in a rocking chair and dress in old lady clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feliz ano!!obrigada :)
    Eu só quero é viver,da melhor forma possível.
    bjs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it!

    Happy New Year, darling!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Passando aqui pra te dar um abraço!!!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola amiga, es solo para desearte un Feliz Año Nuevo.
    Un gran abrazo de tu amigo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning to stay curious & passionate until my last breadth darling! Feel sad sometimes seeing my dear mother who doesn't have the same sentiments as of lately! Hope she'll find her sparks again soon...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I discovered I have flabby upper arms today. I have always had skinny arms, strong arms, muscly arms.
    I'm devastated. But not enough to do a Madonna. Bler!

    Happy new year seeker xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is Awesome!! I think that was wonderfully said!! When I wanted to get my tattoos I wondered what it would be like to be an old lady all tattooed lol ...But I did not let that stop me I hope I am spunky and youthful until I breath my last breath!! and now I will be colorful as well :) ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations for you blog.. i liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting article. I agree with it as well. I think everyone has a fear of getting old, because the older we get the closer we are to death? Right now im 25, but do look forward to middle age because I will be wiser, more secure, more confident, and hopefully have more money. I just never want to get stuck in my ways, or lose a sense of wonderment and curiosity of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Olá amiga,
    Foi bom ver-te de novo no meu cantinho verde !
    Eu não gosto de envelhecer nem de ver o meu corpo envelhecer mas não há outra solução do que aceitar. Não levo a vida duma jovem nem visto mini-saia (no entanto, até tenho corpo para isso e utilizei muito na minha juventude) mas tento manter-me sempre muito ocupada (e estou !!!); utilizo as coisas da moda que me convêm e me ficam bem mas sem estar "presa" a isso. Antes de mais nada, o essencial é sentir-me confortável e saltos rasos e calças são a minha preferência. Tudo isto me ajuda a ter um equilíbrio psicológico.
    Feliz Ano Novo.

    Beijinhos
    Verdinha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I am old, relatively, but they say a man is only as old as the woman he feels, and my wife is 17 years younger than my almost 50, so I feel young still. Every morning we play squash against each other, and even though she beats me most of the time, she has to work for her points. (Yesterday morning it was a draw.)

    I can feel that I am not able to do what I used to do anymore, but I am sometimes told that I am in my late 30's or early 40's, which I accept graciously as a huge compliment, as I am in fact turning 50 this year.

    My take on it is, I do not want to live until I am ancient, who wants to stay in this piss hole that long? As long as I can still wipe myself and walk myself to and from the loo, I am happy. But I do not mind dying, my only wish is to go straight to paradise when I do. (sigh)

    Great post, I love opinions like those.

    Have a lovely day.

    Colin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree as well. Hello, sweetheart. I want to thank you for stopping by my blog. And I must say, if I looked as good in my clothes as you do in yours, I might change my mind about age appropriate dressing:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is a place where we dream, cry, think, read, eat, etc.... Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my humble blog! I read all your comments (even though I don't reply often) with great care. So keep them coming! Love to everyone :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...