Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Why the Over-65 Crowd is Conquering Fashion.... an article from Fashionista.com

Fashionista.com just came with an article about Fashion and older people that I, as a social scientist and a fifty plus woman found very interesting.

Why the Over-65 Crowd is Conquering Fashion tells about how brands are embracing senior models, targeting the senior citizen demographic, why is this happening and what to expect from now.

With the help of Ari Seth Cohen who begun in 2008, his blog Advanced Style,  has been profiling the inspiring street style of every day senior citizens (it’s basically the Sartorialist for the elderly set) and the site’s success – Cohen recently released a book and has a documentary in the works – goes to show that more and more people are beginning to pay attention to this older demographic.
We can read things like these:

“Older people make up the largest part of the population and they are tired of being ignored,” Advanced Style’s Cohen told me. “Media either tends to ignore the senior set, or casts aging in a negative light. But with the internet and blogger boom images outside of the fashion industry have become very influential. Now, brands have taken notice and are realizing that they have to market towards ‘real’ people.” And increasingly, ‘real’–as in ‘average’–means older.
What’s more, being ‘elderly’ doesn’t mean what it used to. “

“I have seen campaigns use older models in a very patronizing way,” Cohen said. But in 2012, that no longer flies. The elderly today are not just white-haired grandmas and grandpas: They’re vibrant, empowered individuals with a life and style all their own (though, of course, they may still be grandmas and grandpas)."

I think it's so interesting that I higly recommend you to have a, even if brief, look to it.

10 comments:

  1. I loved that article- was tweeting it this morning, and I love how Ari's blog has really changed the way we see older people- WE SEE THEM! The style and wisdom and relevance they can add to our lives is priceless and its good to see the fashion industry finally take notice.

    Are you on twitter? Find me! @citizenrosebudz

    -Bella Q the Citizen Rosebud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog post! I check in on Advanced Style and The Satorialist quite often. Some things depicted in Advanced Style do not fit my life style, but then I don't live in New York City, if I did I may be dressing in a similar manner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gooԁ day! Thіs is my first visit to уour blog!
    Wе are a grоup of vοlunteers and starting a new initіаtіvе in a communіtу in the ѕаme niсhе.
    Your blοg proviԁed us benеfiсial infoгmation to wοrk on.
    You have done a wonderful ϳob!
    My web blog :: football

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!
    Feel free to surf my web blog : Brand name Laptop

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely checking out that blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We stumbled over here from a different page and thought I might check things out.
    I like what I see so now i am following you.
    Look forward to checking out your web page again.
    Take a look at my website ; what is provillus

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post. Some of the older gals I know are the most stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post. I like to write a little comment to support you.
    my webpage :: Learn More

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello I think that your blog is really nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my humble blog! I read all your comments (even though I don't reply often) with great care. So keep them coming! Love to everyone :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...